[Stoves] Analysis of emission profiles from charcoal produced from selected tree species by different pyrolysis methods

Nikhil Desai pienergy2008 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 10 12:25:47 CDT 2019

Teddy:

Yes, both can be done on scale - trees can be grown and combustion
efficiency can be improved; the question is, what is the marginal cost of
either?

Combustion efficiency is but one part of cooking operations in a restaurant
or at home; capital costs of stoves, fuel storage and ash disposal systems
are factored in, as also the location and running costs including labor and
fees/taxes. Most importantly, a stove or a broiler is chosen for providing
the desired service at a certain temperature and volume profile. Higher
combustion efficiency may have declining returns or a plateau, and a new
stove will not be purchased if the overall cost of replacement or addition
does not match the required service standard and savings in fuel costs.

Similarly, growing trees is not without cost. There is a cost - or
opportunity cost - of land, water, manual care, and equipment to cut and
haul trees and branches. Then come the charcoaling part.

At the margin, even if the same person or company owned the combustion
device as well as the trees, there IS a tradeoff between growing the
feedstock and higher efficiency; the calculations get complicated if one
introduces the element of time, discount rates, and so on. Traded charcoal
gives a good price signal - at what charcoal price do I want to invest in a
stove system that has 10% higher combustion efficiency? Where charcoal is
not purchased but made on site with own feedstock, one should ask how much
that charcoal could fetch in the market.

This kind of consumer choice is better representation of reality than the
physicists' obsession with sustainability beancounting and efficiency. In
more areas than one - from cookstoves to electricity - I think the hallowed
false gods of efficiency and renewability have done more damage than good
to the poor.

Blind science sucks. Scientists need to observe and listen more, model
less.

Nikhil

Nikhil Desai
(US +1) 202 568 5831