[Stoves] Air quality and stoves in Ulaanbaatar - qz.com article

Nikhil Desai pienergy2008 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 11 20:41:01 CDT 2019

Crispin:

I must correct you on your abuse of the phrase “PM 2.5” and conflate it with any “smoke” and with “pollution”.

PM 2.5 may or may not be “smoke”.

Smoke may or may not be PM2.5.

Just what PM2.5 is “pollution” depends on chemical speciation, coincident pollution (ozone, CO, say), exposure profiles, and health condition.

Air quality is a complex science. Reducing air quality to smoke or PM2.5 is stupidity or conspiracy.

One more thing about alternatives to direct use of coal for home heating in Ulaanbaatar - apartments or tenements with central heating plants. I don’t know if the apartment share of dwellings has increased in the 20 years since I went there (July, thankfully). Housing finance can change household energy and combustion technology markets very rapidly.

I am guessing that apartments and outsourcing of cooking did far, far more to shift markets for cooking energy fuels or technologies than all stove programs combined.

As these trends go, biomass household cooking will be left for chronically poor and elderly users. Not a market we can get too excited about, whatever the smoke. Or PM2.5. Or pollution.

Nikhil Desai
Skype: nikhildesai888