[Stoves] A Premix Burner

Kirk H. gkharris316 at comcast.net
Thu Mar 21 17:02:21 CDT 2019

All,

The stationary fan blade which Chispin is presenting here has a very different function then the stationary fan blade which I presented earlier.  This one is placed below the fuel, whereas the one I presented is placed above the fuel.  This one attempts to create a swirl of primary air through the fuel, whereas the one I presented is intended to direct the flame into a longer path to give the flame more time to burn, for a more complete burn.

I have questions about swirling the primary air.  Why give the cook the additional task and expense of inserting the paper?  How much swirl gets through the paper?  How much primary air gets through the paper?  How much swirl gets through the fuel which will tend to resist primary air swirl?  If the primary air is still swirling when it gets to the pyrolysis front, does it really have any effect different than vertically moving primary air?  The primary air flow is fairly small so how much swirl can be produced?  Can swirling the relative small quantity of primary air below the fuel help mix the gasses above the fuel?  The focus needs to be on burning the wood gas efficiently, this is the intention behind the pre-mix concept.  Does swirling the primary air somehow make better, cleaner burning wood gas, or in some other way improve combustion?  Would swirling the primary air improve the combustion in a TLUD-ND, TLUD-FA, or TLUD pre-mix stove?

Respectfully,

Kirk H.