[Stoves] Pebble bed three stone fire

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Fri Nov 8 06:35:47 CST 2019

Dear Nikhil

You ask good questions.

Africa is the place but not exclusively. I have a document showing the sums.

It has been certified by the SNV lab in Cambodia using their modified water boiling test which was developed by GERES to try to correct some problems in the WBT4.

The comparison is made with the performance of a three stone fire. The TSF is still very popular.

The technology is not limited to three stones. They are experimenting with adding rocks (which increases breathing through the coals on the bottom) is all manner of stoves.

Consider the rocket stove. It suffers from a high char production rate (as a fraction of fuel fed) and the change really improves performance in terms of high power, lower fuel needed and lowered emissions.

Charcoal stoves seem to be improved if they are not the latest designs. At present we don't have to know why the rocks work, it is enough that they do.

There is a very high retention rate. That alone indicates that it makes a perceptible difference and that it is beneficial.

I talked to two users and they agreed it saves a lot of fuel. About half, she said.

Until future notice, all stoves should be tested with stones added under the fuel. See what happens. Maybe it's good. Maybe it's always good.

Let's see. Nothing could be cheaper.

As to what would Berkeley do, they will sell stove use monitors.