[Stoves] Energy requirement

Andrew Heggie aj.heggie at gmail.com
Thu Oct 17 03:54:12 CDT 2019

On Thu, 17 Oct 2019 at 00:20, Crispin Pemberton-Pigott
<crispinpigott at outlook.com> wrote:

> Dear Nikhil
>

> I have attached a file from Piet Visser in QuattroPro for DOS format which I don’t have time to convert. Perhaps someone on the list has a converter of a modern version of QPro.
>

> I do not know exactly what’s inside, other than it does include a list of foods and the energy they absorb chemically when cooked.
>

> I don’t recall where it came from – I think I typed it from a list sent by Piet. BTW He lives in Australia and stays several months of the year around Jakarta with his daughter.  He responds to emails.   I lost track of KK Prasad in the Netherlands.

Peter Verhaart was also one of the Eindhoven group wasn't he, he also
moved to Australia.

I have converted the sheet and it may paste legibly here:

Rice 10.5 - 13.5 %mc wwb,  1.76 - 1.84 (kJ/kg.K)

Flour 12 - 13.5 %mc wwb, 1.80 - 1.88 (kJ/kg.K)

Bread 44 - 45%mc wwb, 2.72 - 2.85(kJ/kg.K)

Lentils 12%mc wwb, 1.84(kJ/kg.K)

Meat 39 - 90%mc wwb, 2.01 - 3.89(kJ/kg.K)

Vegetable oil1.46 - 1.88(kJ/kg.K)

Milk 87.5%mc wwb, 3.85(kJ/kg.K)

Carrots 86 - 90%mc wwb, 3.81 - 3.93(kJ/kg.K)

Onions 80 - 90%mc wwb, 3.60 - 3.89(kJ/kg.K)

Potatoes 75%mc wwb, 3.51(kJ/kg.K)

Apples 75 - 85%mc wwb, 3.72 - 4.02(kJ/kg.K)

Specific heats averaged over 0 - 100 oC

I'll attach it as CSV text

I'm not sure what it tells us as most of those foods would be cooked
in additional water.

These figures show the energy needed to raise them through one degree,
you also mention that reactions the food undergoes are endothermic, so
absorb some of the heat supplied. The major reaction is likely to be
hydrolysis, where water molecules become inserted into longer chains
to break them into smaller compounds which the human gut can digest
better.

I am not sure the reactions when proteins coagulate nor why they then
become more digestible, I'm thinking of eggs and meat here.

Andrew