[Stoves] (no subject) (K McLean)

K McLean info at sun24.solar
Wed Oct 30 17:35:55 CDT 2019

Ron, thanks for your comments.  I think you may want to give more weight to
Christa's comments on charcoal displacement.  I don't doubt that
displacement contributes to the improved efficiency.  The mbaula in the
Zambia testing was clearly overloaded.  Look at this photo from the report:

I think there are other factors in play, as well. What I like is a robust
discussion. I hope the discussion leads to more testing. Not just testing
by me, I am the least equipped to test. But testing by others with more
experience and good equipment. The results of my amateur testing are
significant and consistent and should encourage better testing. If we
understand the mechanisms involved, we can adjust to reach greater
efficiencies.

Let me give a quick preview of upcoming testing and testing results. SNV
has completed a second KPT on rock beds in open-fire cookstoves. They
confirmed a WBT and a previous KPT demonstrating that rock beds improve
efficiency by about a third. The KPT also found that a clay grate showed
fuel saving of 48%, confirming an earlier WBT. The report should be
finalized this week. Since they had problems with the clay grates breaking,
they will be testing a metal grate over a rock bed soon. Our hope is a
metal grate over rock bed will improve cookstoves similar to clay grates.

I have asked a couple of my amateur testers to do new tests, including
placing three rocks on top of the pile to charcoal to elevate the pot above
the charcoal. This is in response to Crispin's observation that efficiency
is lost by placing pots directly on the charcoal. The rocks may deflect too
much heat, but it is easy to test.

I'll be at the CCA Forum in Nairobi next week. I'll be there a couple days
before and after. I hope to meet some of you there. I am renting the Nyati
Meeting Room at Radisson on the 7th to exhibit (with SNV) rock beds in wood
cookstoves. I'll announce this in a separate post so it doesn't get lost in
this discussion.