[Stoves] (no subject) (K McLean)

Ronal Larson rongretlarson at comcast.net
Wed Oct 30 18:47:49 CDT 2019

Bernhard et al

		Few comments below.

> On Oct 30, 2019, at 4:41 PM, Bernhard Müller <bs_mueller at gmx.net> wrote:
>
> Thanks for flattering me, Ron.
> Well, Christa Roth replied in a perfect manner. Thanks Christa!
> I remember almost 1 year ago a similar project popped up that in Western Uganda they add a miraculous volcanic rock to the charcoal to increase efficiency. As I were on site then I visited them and found out that they were talking about pumice. Why don’t they name it correctly? Don’t they know it or did they do it intentionally? There is another producer in Kenya, by the way.
	[RWL:  We haven’t talked about pumice on this list for a long time.  I had a vulcanism friend who told me that he knew of no-one who had ever produced an artificial pumice.  I wonder if that is still true.  After the (roughly?) 2000 stove conference run by A D and Priya Karve in Pune India, they directed a few of us to a nearby museum that had bricks that were many hundreds of years old - that floated.   Anyone able to report on such (that would probably make better stove material than any of the ceramics and metals we now use)?
	Putting such material into the fuel is different - but seemingly (?) not in the thread started by Kevin.

> Regarding CO: I adore Kevin’s work and have seen his cube shaped stove at the CREEC institute for testing. Was it tested for CO emission too? To reduce the CO emissions it takes a temperature of well above 605C and a certain time. Most of the enthusiasts forget the factor time. If you put the pot right above - or even on - the charcoal, the CO won’t have the time to oxidize to CO2. Hence, I do not believe that the enhanced efficiency (whatever that means in this case) decreases the specific amount of CO. CO can be reduced in just two options: either the distance between the charcoal and the pot is increased or hot secondary air is blown into the system right above the charcoal.
	[RWL:  I mostly agree.   Air flow must change -  presumably now entering hotter - maybe a different composition.  Here is where more test results could help a lot.  Maybe there is even a computer program around that someone can try to do some testing for Kevin.

> Regarding double grate: I developed a charcoal stove for Zambia with a double grate as well. It might take some time to market it due to the lack of reliable partners in Zambia.
	[RWL:  Can you give more details on this double grate?  Especially on why you came up with a two-grate design.

> Regarding CO testing: the CO test can simply be tested at the CREEC institute in Kampala.
	[RWL:   Perhaps your recommendation can get that testing to happen (not to be paid for by Kevin).  His (everyone’s)  problem isn’t labs - its finding a funding source.  Kevin is getting some help from a Dutch group.
	Groups hoping to sell new hardware can be expected to pay for such tests.  That is not the case here.

> No need to transport the items to Germany. I will anyhow not be in the position to work on this matter until end of January since I will have a complicated surgery soon.
	[RWL:  Best of luck on the surgery.

Ron