[Stoves] Swtich from charcoal to sawdust for street cooking

Ronal Larson rongretlarson at comcast.net
Wed Sep 18 11:02:15 CDT 2019

Teddy and list:  cc Kevin

	Thanks for the alert.

	Re your sawdust question -  I think some TLUD users are finding that small (25-30 mm) round balls (briquettes) are an excellent size and shape for making char.  Sawdust should be a perfect ingredient (with other ingredients).  See reports these balls from Bangladesh by Julien Winter. (Akha stove)

	Re your report on this new Nairobi food cooking operation - that is a great story.  Possibly can achieve lower costs if she uses char-making stoves.

	I found more at:  https://www.businessdailyafrica.com/corporate/enterprise/Trader-discovers-recipe-for-success-in-affordable-food/4003126-4955576-sipkpt/index.html <https://www.businessdailyafrica.com/corporate/enterprise/Trader-discovers-recipe-for-success-in-affordable-food/4003126-4955576-sipkpt/index.html>
And
	https://agrf.org/zt_team/khadija-mohamed-churchill/ <https://agrf.org/zt_team/khadija-mohamed-churchill/>

	Nice program!.

	Big enough operation she probably has some quite large cook pots.  Seems not appropriate for mainly solar cooking as she wants to cook at night.

	 She could have zero costs for cooking if she can change from using biogas to using wood and is interested in helping the farmer suppliers with biochar.   Will be a bit more than your $10 stove but 55 gallon used oil drums might be about right for the size cockpots I’m thinking she might have.   Most users of that size char-making are not now using the pyrolysis gases.  Her operation sounds perfect.

	I add Kevin as a cc as he will be attending the big Nairobi stove conference next month.  Anyone else?  This “Kwanza” operation needs to be replicated many places.

Ron