[Stoves] Water Disinfection - Mix Boiling Water and Unheated Water to Pasteurize

K McLean info at sun24.solar
Sat Sep 21 14:40:36 CDT 2019

Listmates,

Dale, Ron and I have found a simple way to improve by a third the
efficiency of boiling water for disinfection.

As you probably know, water is flash pasteurized at 71C.  However, most
people boil (100C) their water because boiling is their only mark.  Without
indicators such as a thermometer or WAPI, people don't know when their
water reaches 70C.

Our testing indicates pasteurization is probably attained by boiling two
parts boiling water and adding one part unheated water.  The mixture should
have a temperature that flash pasteurizes the water.

With one billion people boiling water, the benefits of increasing
efficiency by a third are obvious with savings of time, money, fuel and
emissions.

Here are my test results
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1OYMUmC6giV-G_CBstBh8ivBn1n_lxHJ0X_sMiR6lLmU/edit?usp=sharing>.
Dale's time/temperature testing indicates that a 1:1 mixture (boiling water
to unheated water) may be insufficient for pasteurization.

We need testing for live pathogens.  Can you recommend someone to test this
method with water contaminated with pathogens?

Thank you,
Kevin

*Kevin McLean, President*
*Sun24*