[Stoves] Water Disinfection - Mix Boiling Water and Unheated Water to Pasteurize

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Mon Sep 23 16:57:25 CDT 2019

Volunteers in Technical Assistance.

The head was Don Feil for some time recently. I am not sure if he still is. His phone mailboxes are full.

US-based people volunteer their time to solve problems encountered by overseas people. It did a lot of positive things.  They produced the first (rather defective) WBT test, with them mediating three organisations, them, plus one in France and one in Germany.   They put out a number of publications including the VITA Technology Handbook and the microfiche library of everything the Village Technology Sourcebook. Back in the early ‘80’s that was the basis of any good appropriately technology centre library.

Cecil Cook and I co-founded the Transkei Appropriate Technology Unit in 1982 and there wasn’t all that much to go on, besides the ITDG publications.

So, there is some discussion of water storage here.
https://journals.plos.org/plosntds/article?id=10.1371/journal.pntd.0006364

Conclusions
“All five water treatment methods can remove or inactivate cercariae in water, and hence produce cercaria-free water. However, reliable design guidelines for treating water do not exist as there are insufficient data. Overall, the review found that cercariae are inactivated when storing water for 10–72 hours (depending on temperature), or with chlorination values of 3–30 mg-min/l. UV fluences between 3–60 mJ/cm2 may significantly damage or kill cercariae, and sand filters with 0.18–0.35 mm grain size have been shown to remove cercariae. This systematic review identified 67 studies about water treatment and schistosomiasis published in the past 106 years. It highlights the many factors that influence the results of water treatment experiments, which include different water quality conditions and methods for measuring key parameters. Variation in these factors limit comparability, and therefore currently available information is insufficient for providing complete water treatment design recommendations.”
I think that is information enough to start.