[Stoves] Yet another review paper (2014): Perspectives in Household Air Pollution Research: Who Will Benefit from Interventions

Ronal Larson rongretlarson at comcast.net
Thu Jan 2 14:36:11 CST 2020

List and ccs:

	I think we have reached the end of needed dialog.  I am basing everything in this thread on a hopeful connection between char-making stoves and the climate and restoration communities that is (below) being denied by Nikhil.

	Two comments below.

> On Jan 2, 2020, at 11:16 AM, Nikhil Desai <pienergy2008 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Ron:
>
> You: "My query to this list is - how can we best use the fact that char-making stoves can make money for their users?  Nikhil has failed to address that issue.  Is mine a non-serious question?  One has to believe that climate change is real to get into this topic in a serious way."
>
> Your question IS serious. The only positive comment I have made thus far - beginning three years ago - is that I see commercial char ovens and commercial char stoves as promising , if the land and the feedstock are available at low cost.
>
> I differ on whether taking climate change seriously requires taking the business potential of char making and CDR seriously. There are many CDR options, mostly on paper. I suggest making a business case for one location, one feedstock, and one set of customers. Climate change is too big a problem.
	[RWL:  You may be right.  We do indeed differ on whether trying to solve a small part of the climate problem via char-making stoves is worth anyone's effort.  I see stoves and char-making as an avenue into much larger char-making with most of the char going into the soil - never to be used for cooking.  Lesser value, but still valuable, to put the char into asphalt and similar.  Many cash-related problems affecting the 50% of the world cooking with biomass might have some relief if the money available for climate restoration were directed to the community being served by this list.  My just-sent response to Gordon and Bill is in that spirit - so I know there are some believers.

	I emphasize I am in a fact-finding, not solution recommending, mode here.

	Any others see a possible connection between charcoal-making (and money-making) stoves and the excess atmospheric carbon world (which is looking for ways to spend money)?

	one more below.

> [...]
> c. GACC has driven a stake through the credibility of the "biomass stove community". UNF taking intellectual command over WHO and then to energy access and cooking health SDG is a fraud and a travesty. Whatever credibility was built up for investments in biomass stoves - by which I mean not donor-driven, donor-controlled (EnDev and other GTZ/GIZ projects or some regional and national projects) but those where national governments had taken their own or World Bank money to make new boimass stoves a success - was destroyed by GACC. I think the World Bank will once again try to use bilateral donor grants for biomass cooking, but I hope they use the ISO guidelines and "voluntary performance standards" sparingly and after serious critical analysis. (And avoid the aDALY fraud.)
>
> I wish I could be more encouraging. All I can say is that I admire your enthusiasm..Past failures are no guarantee of future failures.   Let's have a business case that does not require anything of government policy changes or government financing.
>
> I took a quick look at the paper Haight et al. (2019)  Estimating the Present Value ofCarbon Sequestration in U.S. Forests,2015–2050, for Evaluating FederalClimate Change Mitigation Policies <https://www.cambridge.org/core/services/aop-cambridge-core/content/view/4B8AFEEA2102B1F54561B05586E5FA8A/S1068280519000200a.pdf/div-class-title-estimating-the-present-value-of-carbon-sequestration-in-u-s-forests-2015-2050-for-evaluating-federal-climate-change-mitigation-policies-div.pdf>. As a matter of general preference, I don't give a hoot about computations of "social cost of carbon", and I am also allergic to references to Bill Nordhaus and Michael Greenstone. (The only climate economist I was hoping to get some more insight from killed himself a few months ago.)
>
> But this paper offers hope - if there is POLITICAL traction, then come 2021, a Pete Buttigieg  may champion carbon storage in soils. See https://peteforamerica.com/policies/climate/ <https://peteforamerica.com/policies/climate/> Amy Klobuchar is supporting current and new biofuels.  https://www.klobuchar.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/homegrown-energy-environment-natural-resources <https://www.klobuchar.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/homegrown-energy-environment-natural-resources>
>
> I won't hold my breath for char revolution or for it to make any difference in climate vulnerabilities of anybody anywhere. Poor people don't have the luxury to worry about climate emergency.
	[RWL:  I think you give them too little credit.  I think we can close your part of this thread - I have understood you don’t concur with the thrust.

Ron