[Stoves] Char from Corn cobs ??

Christa Roth (bioenergylist) stoves at foodandfuel.info
Tue Jan 21 00:20:43 CST 2020

Ron,

not sure where you have seen corn COBS being left in the field? Corn stover, yes? But cobs? Maybe on larger/commercial farms with mechanised shelling right on the field as the maize is harvested?

With smallholders in Africa (which is the majority of farmers) where harvesting is done by hand, so far I have only seen the cobs being taken to the homes where the maize grain gets taken off, either directly after harvest (where then a relatively larger amount of cobs would be available) or when the grain is stored while on the cob, only before milling the maize (meaning that per household you hardly get more cobs in one month than what corresponds to the volume of one 50-kg-bag of shelled maize grain.

I do agree that they are perfect in size and shape for gasifier stoves, like large natural pellets. I have been scouting for opportunities for sufficient amounts of maize cobs in one place to justify the introduction of char-making cookstoves but apart from commercial farming wasn’t successful in the places I usually work in like rural Malawi. There people use the corn cobs either as animal/chicken feed or burn them directly as supplemental fuel in their woodfires. I haven't seen unused or wasted corn cobs yet on smallholder levels.

Christa
stoves at foodandfuel.info