[Stoves] Char from Corn cobs ??

K McLean info at sun24.solar
Tue Jan 21 09:06:44 CST 2020

Hi Teddy,

Where do your customers collect their cobs?  As Christa points out,
smallholders usually burn their cobs themselves.  Commercial maize farms
are successful in Kenya, though.  Do commercial farmers leave the cobs in
the field as waste - as I have read?

There is a factory in Eldoret that uses cobs to produce chemicals.
Bio-Corn appears to be closing down, though.  It consumed 60,000 tonnes of
cobs per year.  I have contacted Bio-Corn to determine its sources of
cobs.  My guess is that its sources are commercial farms.   This is from an
article
<https://www.standardmedia.co.ke/business/article/2001251825/company-to-make-chemicals-from-maize-cobs>
announcing the opening of the factory:
*"[T]he factory is expected to be a major boost to maize farmers who can
now earn from the cobs, which often end up as waste or domestic fuel."*
[image: image.png]

Sun24 is looking at more efficient ways to burn cobs.  Your Cookswell KCJ
(Kenya Ceramic Jiko) would work well.  Smallholders already burning cobs
can increase efficiency by burning them in charcoal jikos like the KCJ.

Maize cobs may be an underutilized, renewable cooking fuel source.  And a
source for char.

Kevin