[Stoves] Char from Corn cobs ??

neiltm at uwclub.net neiltm at uwclub.net
Tue Jan 21 16:02:24 CST 2020

On 21 Jan 2020 at 8:25, Cookswell Jikos wrote:

> Corn cob charcoal itself is pretty awesome - it burns super fast and
> hot which makes it good for blending with regular charcoal or quick
> cooking of things like tea or rice.

I have burned a few and then burned the char, not exclusively but mixed
in with other 'fines' and generally friable char saved from TLUD and
rocket stoves mostly, and I can identify with the above statement when
comparing my home made char with more substantial commercial 'lumpwood'
charcoal.
I also find that wood that has half rotted, but when dry makes a very
friable char, much as the corn cobs do, and does indeed burn super fast
and hot, lighting exteremely quickly, which is also true of the wood
itself in the TLUD.

With my small cast iron pot bellied BBQ with the addition of my computer
fan 'turbo', I can have a fire to cook on in about a minute from lighting
with a couple of sheets of newspaper under the grate, and with enough
fuel in a single charge, a fire that lasts long enough to cook chicken
pieces - about 40 mins.

I introduced the fan when I experienced inadequate draft because of the
density of the layer of fine char impeding air flow, but apart from
starting the fire, mostly it is not necessary once going, although
sometimes useful in short bursts as another way to vary the heat, and if
I reload during a long cook.

I can appreciate though that this type of char might be difficult to
transport and sell without degredation and would presumably need the sort
of charcoal stove that can burn pellet char which I imagine is more
structurally robust but have no experience of.  But used at source I find
it excellent and easy, and makes for a very controllable heat.

Neil Taylor in England