[Stoves] Jet-Flame Three Stone Fire

ajheggie at gmail.com ajheggie at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 03:27:50 CDT 2020

Hi David

Good to see someone from Aprovecho posting again.

This little fan is at the opposite end of the technology spectrum from
 Kevin McLean's  adding three little stones between the bigger stones
but it works similarly in increasing primary air.

The higher velocity seems to make the fire more of an updraught
gasifier but for the fact the video shows the blast of air passing
over the ends of bigger sections of wood, which presumably means
unused oxygen carries over to the secondary flame, whereas in a
traditional updraught mode all the oxygen would be used up in
producing carbon monoxide and this then burned with the woodgas in the
secondary combustion.

Apart from the big issue of cost and problems with powering a flame in
under developed homes, using one is a no brainer for better turbulence
and mixing.

It has long surprised me that few log burners (the one in my home
doesn't) use small fans to improve combustion while all natural gas,
an easier fuel to burn cleanly,  appliances do.

Andrew