[Stoves] question about stove for fuel briquette

ajheggie at gmail.com ajheggie at gmail.com
Sat Mar 28 05:07:36 CDT 2020

Please see below a post from Richard Stanley.

The archives are at
http://lists.bioenergylists.org/mailman/private/stoves_lists.bioenergylists.org/

Andrew

"Dear Ms Guillaume,
we have worked mostly to adapt fuel briquettes to many stove designs.
although you will see one or more on our website , i would recommend
for detailed testing results, that you visit the stoves and biomass
newsgoup (Stoves at lists.bioenergylists.org)’s  archive . look in
particular for the work of Jed Guinto, Rok Oblak. Additionally the
Approvecho institute’s archived material  in the same stoves archives
may be  quite helpful.
essentially side fed , so called rocket stove designs are most
effevtive because they take good advantage of the round feed tube (on
the horizontal ) by forcing incoming primary air to pass thru the
center hole of a holey briquette which fits snugly inside.
Secondly , any stove using briquettes of our type, will generally
benefit by having some from of ash catchment and easy removal as
briquettes generally generate more ash than wood. Finally, insulation
is really important to efficient combustion . in this regard,, Rok
Oblak’s stoves are especially efficient; However the clay sawdust
insulative walls he uses do not stand up well to constant use . One
needs to either have a metal or harder baked clay or cement brick wrap
and especially top ring to make it sufficiently durable. Jed Guinto’s
stoves are particularly clever in this regard. Both have acquired
quantitative test data, re., time of burn, heat output, CO emissions
etc.
But many types of stoves exist for use with briquettes, as you will
discover in the mentioned website, but if you focus on the above three
principles, you can easily develop your own best version which fits
the local economy, cooking practiced and production skills of your
area. No one size fits all !
Please keep me informed as you get further into your research.
Best of luck, Richard Stanley

Sent from my iPhone