[Stoves] Mongolian traditional clay stove

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Mon May 25 21:56:14 CDT 2020

Dear Ron

In Tajikistan I was told the agriculture people are very concerned that so much Dung is used for fuel, usually necessitated by poverty. What I observed is that there is a great deal of work required to prepare,  dry and store (meaning move twice) the fuel.

In the traditional stoves, there is prey poor combustion for two reasons: the fire is not hot, and the combustion efficient is terrible.

A stove was developed specifically for burning dung more effectively. This was classed as the Model 2 in later iterations during the Kyrgyz stove project. The final version for heating above 10,000 ft is the KG2.5. It is larger, the kind of stove that would be used in Pamir in Tajikistan.

When the fuel is burned badly, it produces a great deal of dung-char. You might be surprised to learn that. Chunks or slabs might be heated off-gas but not burn well at all. There is a large amount of char that goes to the fuel with the ash. The ash is mineral-rich of course.

The new stoves are operated in a very different manner - end-lit crossdraft style as per the MM2 from Ulaanbaatar.

The result is a controllable flame, very much better combustion efficiency, higher temperatures and better CO combustion. The fuel saving is large - maybe 50%. The KG2.5 is about 88+90% efficient (LHV).

So the agriculture people are very happy about this. The fuel use drops by half, and the dung is available to be returned to the fields.

The question you might ask is: does adding char from badly burned dung bring more benefit to the ecosystem than returning a higher fraction of the original material to the soil?

I think the Ag people think that dung is a better offer.  If only half the work is needed for fuel preparation and it provides faster cooking, a more controllable fire, less chimney cleaning and less 50% transport, it is a good choice.

As for the Mongolian vs Tibetan aspect, historically these two are strongly connected populations, 600 years ago the Mongolian leaders invited Tibetan Buddhists to take over the country and establish a system of empire-wide administration which they did. The populations are largely indistinguishable. You will recall the various head Lamas like the Dalai Lama are often found in the Mongolian population. Six to eight thousand years ago when the Earth was much warmer than today, the Gobi Desert was fertile grazing land, like the Sahara. It is possible there is no cultural difference between the two groups. It was a Turkic Empire in the 6th century so I think it is fair to call the stove and the clay dung burner "Mongolian" and risk being correct.

Later the leaders invited Russia to come to Mongolia to establish communism throughout the country - the only country to join the Soviet Union by choice. It is an interesting place.