[Stoves] [Biochar] Embers from Three Stone as Biochar - Who has done this?

ajheggie at gmail.com ajheggie at gmail.com
Fri Apr 2 07:46:26 CDT 2021

On Fri, 2 Apr 2021 at 05:21, Ron Larson <rongretlarson at comcast.net> wrote:

> On Mar 31, 2021, at 8:37 PM, K McLean <kmclean56 at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Using tongs to remove embers, women can make 300-800g of char daily.
> Because they've reported that firewood usage does not increase, SNV did a
> simplified WBT
> <https://drive.google.com/file/d/10aUtzXfo_y9AlmCBr5zMo-tLZbQ8qq48/view?usp=sharing>
> and, counterintuitively, SNV found only an insignificant increase in fuel
> usage.
>

> *[RWL3:  I’ve. reviewed this SNV work (in Viet Nam) and have asked for the
> raw data as well as the finished reports.  *
>
> * But I can believe the results. - because the embers that are being
> collected (by SNV and by women being paid for the char) had already mostly
> given up its hydrogen.  The fallen ember necessarily came from near the
> bottom of the fuel bed - where it was not contributing much to water
> boiling.*

The  experience that there is little change in total wood used, even though
there is char removed is interesting. May it be because the cooking fire is
"LOSSY" and depends on flames reaching the pot whereas the embers would
just sit glowing at the bottom of the fire, so their radiant and convected
heat never reaches the pot or because the cooking is finished and the
embers would otherwise just burn away to nothing..

Andrew