[Stoves] Chitetezo Mbaula as a sawdust stove

Christa Roth christa-roth at foodandfuel.info
Mon Feb 8 10:32:28 CST 2021

Kevin,

its not that easy. We tried long time ago in Malawi and didn’t find it a viable option for various reasons:
You need a modification as the door is too large (12-14 cm wide and 11-13 cm high)  to hold the sawdust in. Otherwise you can’t compact the sawdust, it will fall out in the front. So you need to add a metal piece with just a small hole to put the 2“ pipe through for the horizontal air inlet.
the geometry of the fire chamber is wider than high, so mostly the sawdust did not burn from the central vertical air hole  all the way to the sides of the stove
in Malawi sawdust is neither an easily available resource, nor free:
it is only abundant and often freely available at the big sawmills in the few forest  concessions, yet in those areas wood offcuts are cheaply available and easier to use than sawdust, thus in direct competition.
In the settlements the carpenters mostly have wood shavings and use the sawdust for crack filling of the furniture they produce, so they rarely give the sawdust away for free.  Firewood per kg is cheaper than sawdust
Availability can be very seasonal, especially scarce in rainy season

For all those reasons and experiences we did not pursue that idea any further. The devil is in the details and convenience plus economy are the main reasons for adoption  in this part of the world

Regards from Malawi

Mit freundlichen Grüssen / Best regards

Christa Roth,
WhatsApp +49 157 301 684 97, Malawi +265 994 652 190, Skype: christa.roth

COVID-19 is real!  Please Protect Yourself and Others: Watch your distance - Wash your hands - Wear your (reusable community) mask

Stop Stigma - Stay safe - help prevent the spread - Together we can stop the spread of COVID-19.