[Stoves] [Biochar] Rocket stove design for retort heating #rocketstove #retort

ajheggie at gmail.com ajheggie at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 17:11:26 CST 2021

From: K McLean <kmclean56 at gmail.com>
Date: Mon, Jan 4, 2021 at 1:42 PM

We designed the AGWA, a crude TLUD (<$2) for very poor households in
developing countries.  It works well with maize cobs as fuel and makes
biochar.  Hundreds of women are now using the AGWA and like it.  We
are testing a larger version for use in school kitchens.

We are also revisiting sawdust stoves.  They burn long and clean
without tending.  They are cheap to make and easy to use.  And they
make a lot of biochar.  We are testing with crop residues and are
having success.   I'm sure sawdust stoves can be adapted to
institutional settings.  Sawdust stoves have been used for decades.
I'm not sure why they are not ubiquitous.

We are also training farmers to mix the biochar with urine to use in
their fields.

Kevin McLean
Sun24