[Stoves] ***SPAM*** Re: Methane emissions from flame cap kilns FW: ARC E-Newsletter 1/13/21: Inventor's Pride - Watch Out!

Ryan Thompson ryan at mtnaireng.com
Thu Jan 14 12:38:08 CST 2021

Hi Paul,

I do not contribute to the ARC newsletter, but see my answers to your
questions below.

Thanks,
Ryan

On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 7:47 AM Anderson, Paul <psanders at ilstu.edu> wrote:

> Dean and Sam and Nordica (leaders at Aprovecho) and all  (especially Ryan
> Thompson and Christian Rakos),
>

> Your newsletter is appreciated, and the message this time needs to be
> taken to heart by all of us (see below).   Inventions need to be tested and
> claims should not be based on the absence of evidence.
>

> One point that comes to mind is the comment that there is methane coming
> off of the fires of flame-cap charcoal makers (open top cavity kilns) such
> as the Oregon kilns and Kon-Tiki.   This also could apply to my covered top
> cavity kilns.
>

> I know that char makers are not the focus of Aprovecho.   My question is
> whether or not Aprovecho has tested for methane or could test for
> methane.   And if Ryan or Christian do testing for methane.

I can test for methane. I have a methane sensor in my emissions equipment.

> And then the questions become:   What results are known?

I have seen one publication that reports methane emission factors for kon
tiki kilns (Cornelissen 2016). I have only done a few emission measurements
since I added the methane sensor, but I measured a burn pile and methane
emissions were significant. I am looking forward to doing more measurements
and sharing more quantitative results with you. In general, from my
measurements, I would say that if a burn has significant emissions of other
incomplete combustion products such as CO and visible smoke, then methane
emissions are probably significant too.

Where and how can methane emissions from  flame cap kilns (open or covered
> tops) be conducted?

I offer emission testing services for all types of kilns. The equipment is
portable so the measurements can be done anywhere:
http://www.mtnaireng.com/Emissions-Equipment/

 Is this an important topic?

yes