[Stoves] ***SPAM*** burning wood gas

Harris, Kirk gkharris316 at comcast.net
Tue Jul 20 02:59:21 CDT 2021

Daniel,

The top picture, top right design did not work to well because it puts
the flame gap at the outer tip of the flame.  It works better on the
inner curve.

The stationary fan was to give the flame more time to burn.  That has
been replaced with the inward-outward-inward-outward flow of the flame.
The stationary fan was not for mixing.  Spinning the flame did not give
me very good mixing, nowhere near as good as injection mixing.  I have
not tried spinning the flame in combination with the bluff body.  The
stove works so well as is, I think it is not necessary.

I am working on a video to show the stove in action, however Microsoft
has "updated" my computer so my older video camera no longer works with
my computer, so I will have to work something out there.

The center bottom bluff body is flat.  I found that if a flat bluff body
gets slightly tilted it gives an off balanced, one sided flame.  The
cone shape is much more forgiving.

Your stove sounds innovative.  A center secondary air column should work
very effectively.  It sounds like you have an inverted form of the
design I am working on, with the secondary air spreading at the bluff
body instead of the wood gas.  One thing that bothers me about this is
that the bluff body will reduce the pressure of the secondary air,
reducing its pressure difference with the wood gas instead of increasing
it.  This would reduce the pressure driven injection mixing.  I don't
know if this is true, but it is something to look at in your
experiments.  I have wondered about the same thing with jets of air
entering the wood gas from the outside like many stoves do.

Kirk H.

https://www.avg.com