[Stoves] Stoves Digest, Vol 131, Issue 12

Norbert Senf norbert.senf at gmail.com
Sat Jul 24 06:12:15 CDT 2021

On Sat, Jul 24, 2021 at 2:49 AM <stoves-request at lists.bioenergylists.org>
wrote:

Ajheggie wrote:

> Norbert, are you able to put any figures on the range of particulate
> emissions as the smoke goes clear? i.e. if there is no visible smoke
> what range are the PM emissions in?

Hi Andrew:
Very roughly,  I'd say under 2 grams PM / kilogram dry fuel for wood in our
type of device.
We did testing on 5 typical North American pellet stoves at the Stove
Challenge a few years back, and they don't have visible emissions, although
I haven't looked super carefully.
They were all in the range of about 1 - 2 g/kg.
The big dividing line is smoldering vs flaming combustion. My experience is
mainly with flaming, where you get soot (elemental carbon) from flame
quenching. It is light and odorless.
With smoldering you get tars, which often are yellow on the filter, strong
organic odor, heavy.   ..............N
--
Norbert Senf
Masonry Stove Builders