[Stoves] ***SPAM*** Re: Stoves Digest, Vol 131, Issue 14

Norbert Senf norbert.senf at gmail.com
Mon Jul 26 07:05:10 CDT 2021

Hi Andrew:
There's a fairly clear distinction between the PM resulting from flaming
and from smoldering. Ie. soot vs tar, or elemental carbon and organic
carbon (EC and OC).
I found a study from Switzerland comparing the toxicity of the two, and it
appears that OC is about 10X as toxic as EC.
In a pellet stove or masonry heater, for example you see around 1 g/kg of
EC, whereas in an "outdoor boiler" like farmers around here use, you can
see as high as 100 g/kg of OC.
This implies that burning the same piece of wood could give you 1000 X the
toxicity in one device compared to the other.
Outdoor boilers have water cooled fireboxes, and a combustion air fan which
allows you to burn green wood.
They tend to be oversized, and as a result operate in smolder mode a large
part of the time. If you had to design a device for making creosote, they
would fit the bill very well ;-)

Norbert

--
Norbert Senf