[Stoves] hot wood - biochar, rocket stoves, and rocket mass heaters

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Fri Oct 15 13:16:44 CDT 2021

Dear Friends

This is part of a newsletter from a group of Permaculture advocates.  It happens they are talking about stives and char making.  It may interest some of you.

+++++++

>From Paul Wheaton:

permies daily-ish permies at permies.com<mailto:permies at permies.com>

As the weather turns wet and crumby, my thoughts turn to wood, preferably hot wood. Jay Angler here with some thoughts about things that need hot wood - biochar, rocket stoves, and rocket mass heaters.

We use a conventional wood stove, but I love making small batches of biochar using a pot in the stove. Here's a thread about that approach:

https://permies.com/t/44894

What if you need to deal with a *lot* of wood and your land could use a *lot* of biochar? Carl Nystrom is experimenting with  a trench style biochar pit:

https://permies.com/t/157204

T Blankinship demonstrates his rocket stove for cooking a quick lunch and was very happy with his friend's reaction. Let's get more people trying this and posting their stories about just how little wood it takes:

https://permies.com/t/166643

In this podcast, Paul is consulting on a Matt Walker RMH construction.

https://permies.com/wiki/168601

Have you ever read the back cover of a book?  Paul and Mike are looking for input on what the back of the SKIP book should say.  Please check out the "poor man's poll" here:

https://permies.com/t/168477

Thanks for reading the daily-ish email!  We believe that your participation in our community is changing the world for the better!

Paul Wheaton, 2120 s reserve #351, missoula, mt 59801