[Stoves] Space between biomass fuel and cookpot in an open-fire cookstove

Ronal Larson rongretlarson at comcast.net
Sun Jul 24 16:19:52 CDT 2022

Dieter and list,  cc Kevin and4 friends of solar cooking

	Your message below is a surprise.

		a.  I bought one of your parabolic concentrators (from you in person) - I think in 2009 at that year’s ISES meeting in Johannesburg,  A solar cooking friend recently took it to the ASES Headquarters in Boulder, as I moved to a smaller place..

		b.  Not many on this list will know that you are exceedingly well known in solar cookers.  I’ve added four (possibly mutual friends through SCI ) to add more on your own contributions over many years  They all know the charcoal-making topics here

		c.  I had no idea you have been working on wood stoves - especially designs that could receive a parallel solar input.

		d.  My own interests are now shifted from solar to biomass stoves - but always now with char-making as a carbon negative co-product.  (Because char-using stoves have so badly ruined so many forests. - and must be phased out.)

		e.  This list has also recently been much more on char-making stoves than char-using or the “Ben” type you are working on.  Maybe because they are new and still gaining converts and new ideas.  For some reason, your contribution below is now quite rare on this list - unfortunately..

		f.  I think there is much less reason to run solar and char-making together, but urge char-making stoves as the backup when the sun is not available.

		g.   I found some information on “Ben” at https://solarcooking.fandom.com/wiki/Dieter_Seifert.  Please tell us of other sites.  I’m sure the SCI site is better for solar cookers, but this list needs to learn more about solar cooking.

		h.  I’d also like to discuss making char with solar concentrators. (probably troughs, but maybe not)  I’ ve only seen that concept once in print.  Cooking with the resulting syngas might offer some advantages in the solar cooking world.  Can use the concentrator all day.

		i.  Making char seems to me to be the most popular form of carbon dioxide removal (CDR) in general - not just in stoves.   Because char is needed in soils.

		j.  Kevin McLean is often now writing about a char-making stove that seems to be vary attractive to the many users of 3-stones - essentially zero cost. He uses “rods” some.

Ron