[Stoves] Stoves for Ukraine?

Bill Knauss wmknauss at gmail.com
Sun Mar 13 16:29:33 CDT 2022

Most of my experience has been with TLUD space heaters.  Hopefully some of
my experiences may be helpful.

Pictured in the followinglinks,  https://hotos.app.goo.gl/ueAAyUaGjhT422QJ9
<https://photos.app.goo.gl/ueAAyUaGjhT422QJ9>,
https://hotos.app.goo.gl/ZEakWxkCEvmkQ2mv8
<https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZEakWxkCEvmkQ2mv8>, is a TLUD space heater and a
view at the bottom of the radiant heat exchanger, which was made out of 5
gallon metal buckets, that show the block out, made from 8" stove pipe and
refractory insulation used at the bottom to keep the hot flames from
contacting the metal directly.

We designed and built these heaters in the Fall of 2020 when we didn’t have
access to a shop and had only a few hand tools due to the COVID.  We are
completing our second heating season with 2 of these stoves and they have
produced about a ton of biochar per stove, per season, and they have held
up well.

This type of radiant heat exchanger can be easily built from a variety of
scrap materials and fitted to most any TLUD, rocket or other direct
combustion base of an appropriate size that is avaliable in an emergency.

You can see what can be done with the same basic heat exchanger design with
better shop facilities in the following video.  You will notice that the
TLUD base is on wheels because one of our design criteria was to design the
TLUD base so that it can be moved to power a cook top or water heater.
https://youtu.be/X_EG9K7NJok