[Stoves] ***SPAM*** Re: [Biochar] Easiest Biochar at Home.

neiltm at uwclub.net neiltm at uwclub.net
Mon Nov 28 16:39:56 CST 2022

On 28 Nov 2022 at 14:47, Ronal Larson wrote:

> Getting the input weight and char weights should not be too hard if you
>   are able to find a suitable can with lid.

Biscuit tin!  Cools to the touch in a few minutes.  Was also
surprised by how fast glowing char cooled placed in an old fashioned
copper bed warming pan that had quite a lose fitting hinged lid.  No
singed sheets!   A biscuit tin will be a much better seal.

Also old kettle BBQ's without the legs, but with their lids are
excellent char makers.  We use one as an occasional garden fire bowl.
 Remove ash pan and place on a couple of bricks, placed on the
ground.  4 more bricks placed to stabilise the bowl.  Half fill with
saved ash.  Excellent fire concentrator.  No heat transfer to ground
through ash layer, so good on grass.  At or near end of pyrolysis
place lid and seal the circular vent with soil.  Liberates most of a
large bucket full of char.  Not as handy for weighing as the biscuit
tin though, obviously.

Neil Taylor (England)