[Stoves] Fwd: [Biochar] Ceramic Philosophy: Request for Pyrolysis Biochar Stove Designs

Ronal Larson rongretlarson at comcast.net
Thu Feb 9 02:01:18 CST 2023

Dan and 2 lists:

	I would sure like to know more about this stove.  It is by far the most “sophisticated” and diverse stove I have ever seen.

	I’m not sure from the picture exactly where the wood or charcoal was combusting.  Might it have been set down over a set of coals?

	When I expand the photo, I’m now pretty sure there is no big hole between the upper “squarish” apparatus and the bottom “trumpet” shape. .

	If the wood or charcoal was in the rectangular shelf in front, I’m sure there was enough height behind the shelf to ensure ALL the smoke entered the vertical square hole below the 3 cook pots above.  Kevin McLean and I have photos to show that a pretty small height can supply the needed chimney.

	There are two semi-cyindrical holes at the extreme left and right of the shelf.  I’ll bet they had some functional role.   Might have fitted the metal grill handles?  Maybe rake out char?

	I’ll bet that the size of the shelf was exactly right for the five functions that could be handled - simultaneously.

	There were probably similar products for smaller pots for smaller families

	The hole in the “trumpet” below looks like a failure - but maybe not?

	This was clearly designed to be placed in a 90 degree corner,  Seems to be touching both walls, with maybe even the back pot at least very close if not touching -  for stability (?).  A real space saving design with safety also in mind probably..

	Dan - where and how did you find this?    Could this also have been designed to also make char?   Char certainly could be raked out when over     It probably evolved over hundreds of years.

Ron

> Begin forwarded message:
>
> From: dan weinshenker <danweinshenker at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [Stoves] [Biochar] Ceramic Philosophy: Request for Pyrolysis Biochar Stove Designs
> Date: February 8, 2023 at 8:13:59 PM MST
> To: Discussion of biomass cooking stoves <stoves at lists.bioenergylists.org>
>
> Side note: historical clay stove from somewhere: oven, grill, fry, 3 pots:
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Feb 8, 2023, at 8:05 PM, Joshua Guinto <jed.building.bridges at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> Dear Gabriel

 			<snip>

>> On Thu, 9 Feb 2023, 5:54 am Ronal Larson, <rongretlarson at comcast.net <mailto:rongretlarson at comcast.net>> wrote:
>> Gabriel and ccs (adding the stoves list (the predecessor “mother” of the biochar (terra preta) group you started with.  [note different address for Paul]
>>
>> 	Welcome as a first poster.  We need more potters on this list - as so many cook stoves are presently being made by potters.

	<snip>