[Stoves] ***SPAM*** Re: ***SPAM*** Dung Rocket Stove - Failed Test

Kevin McLean kevin at sun24.org
Fri Jan 6 03:12:28 CST 2023

Paul, Ron,

The only site I can find on the number of people relying on dung as a
cooking fuel says it is two billion people
<https://energypedia.info/wiki/Cooking_with_Dung#cite_note-Solid_Biofuels_http:.2F.2Fbiofuel.org.uk.2Fsolid-biofuels.html-1>.
I doubt it is this high, but it's probably in the hundreds of millions.
Most are probably in South Asia.

Cooking with dung is exceptionally dirty.  This soot contains black carbon,
a powerful climate forcer.  And this soot contributes to air pollution.

I'm working with a group that is trying to slow glacial melt in the
Himalayas.  Soot landing on glaciers is a primary cause of glacial melt.
Some think that cooking with biomass may be the primary source of soot that
lands on Himalayan glaciers.

I agree that there are better uses of dung.  And I agree that it would be
best if everyone used cooking methods that are cleaner than burning dung.
But the fact is that many millions of families will continue to cook with
dung indefinitely.  It would be good if we can make cooking with dung
cleaner and more efficient until these families transition to something
better.

Kevin