[Stoves] Stoves Digest, Vol 149, Issue 10

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Tue Jan 17 15:52:51 CST 2023

I think that won't work.  The bands will kill the combustion where they touch the fuel.

You have to have air enough to burn and distribute it through the gases as they rise and burn.

Years ago I was building some brick stoves with GIZ in Malawi. We were stacking the brick in the shape of the stove that we intended to, later, assemble with wet clay/sand.  We were testing the boiling pace as a primitive efficiency test.

We found the best combination (later the Esperandza Stove) and built one properly, plastered and all, plugs to fill cleaning hole and everything.  Proper pot rests.   I tell you, the stacked lose bricks outperformed the Esperandza stove, which was rolled out in the tens of thousands.  $8 installed by a contractor, BTW.

So I think you should just stack bricks and see what works. Keep the gaps small.  Imagine various implementations.

If you can get the fire enclosed without increasing smoke, then you have progress.  It the smoke drops, enclose it more, until it squeaks.  Add air at brick 3 until it is clean.  Something like that.

And let us know!

Here is a photo of dung burning in a Vesto stove. Notice the unusual colours.  Burned cleanly, there is always some green.  That is a result of the minerals in the material.  It doesn't smoke at all.  Enough of this "dung is smoky".  There is no smoke in dung.

[cid:image001.png at 01D92A83.57E7ED40]

From: Stoves <stoves-bounces at lists.bioenergylists.org> On Behalf Of Kevin McLean

Can this be accomplished by making the bands taller?