[Stoves] ***SPAM*** Re: [Biochar] Maize Stalk Top Down Burn Cookstove - Biochar

Ronal Larson rongretlarson at comcast.net
Sat Jul 22 16:37:07 CDT 2023

List,  Rick, Kevin, “stoves”. (This last sister list needs to hear more as well)

	I see a need to modify Kevin’s short “great ideas” below response a bit.

	a.   Kevin is doing something quite different from “Stoves in Africa”.  I guess there might be 100 such groups already.  I know of only one or two other stove groups besides Sun24 that includes stove words like:
		char-making
		carbon negative
		income-generating
		time-saving
		healthier

	b.   And what Kevin has in the last video is truly unique in having ZERO COST.  The 15 bricks seen there (Video cite at end) lose no value in cooking.  This new Sun24 method is accomplishing the combustion of a biomass source not usually available  for cooking.  Nowhere near as dense as wood, so typically not even charred in the field..  Many (maybe “most”?) corn stalks are simply field-torched with horrible pollution release.

	c.  I argue with Kevin that I think there is a market for one or two metal “fuel-char-boxes” (FCB) for maybe $2-$3, that (preloaded),can act more like a traditional TLUD:
		can avoid the "non-cooking” time needed to reload a stack of stalks
		less radiative loss
		probably cleaner
		probably a little safer
		probably a bit more char
		possibly can control power levels (TDR = turn down ratio) at low cost (meaning $1-$2)

	d.  Unfortunately Kevin is probably right that it is too much easier to start off without the suggested one or two FCBs

Ron

	See also comments below  from/to  Rick Wilson

> On Jul 22, 2023, at 10:53 AM, Kevin McLean <kmclean56 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Thanks for the great ideas, Rick.
	[RWL:   See my above.

> On Sat, Jul 22, 2023 at 1:19 AM Rick Wilson via groups.io <http://groups.io/> <rick012=yahoo.com at groups.io <mailto:yahoo.com at groups.io>> wrote:
>> Kevin, If your passion is stoves for Africa, what you can do in the US is form a Public Charity and use the resources to fund Stoves for Africa.
>> Which would require some of your focus on fundraising.  But it seems like there are a considerable number of people like you with this passion, so pass the hat around!
	[RWL:   Kevin has already been doing some of that.  I have contributed to his existing non-profit and know of at least two other donations.  Most of the Sun24 funding is from his own net worth - as a retired successful lawyer.   He probably prefers to spend time (as in brand new stove idea above) than spending time raising money.  Ideas like the 15 brick, 2-pot char-making stove come from working in the field.

>> You can also create a Family Foundation with your own resources, which can provide help and reduce your tax burden.  My wife and I have one to support transitions for graduates of Foster care, and for Special Needs people.
	[RWL:  A Family Foundation may have some value, but I think is still a 501c3 - the same as his existing mode of operation.  It takes a lot of time to raise funds - and he is operating by himself.
		Except “by himself” is not quite correct.  Kevin has developed amazing relationships with several church denominations, who are already collecting donations (with hundreds of staff) that are beginning to get to him.
	Besides char-making (only) stoves, the words “Sun24” relate to solar lighting - with roughly the same several month payback of char-making stoves that cost a few bucks.  (And they can’t afford if taking more than a few months for payback - easy to do when competing with kerosene lanterns) - for his very low-income clientele.

>> I can help with guidance if interested.
	[RWL:  That’s great - and also anyone who can get to US Church groups (I’m especially thinking African-orieented - such as the AME church.).    Also Rotary, etc.  Most don’t have any idea how great a benefit is a money-making, time-saving, char-making stove - which is made and serviced locally.
	Paul Olivier is totally correct that higher-cost TLUDs can also be afforded.  But Kevin knows very well how limited the resources are for billions of women for improving upon 3-stone firess (which can cook remarkably well at zero cost - for time periods longer than most TLUDs can operate - and when first cost is critical).

>> Rick
>>

>>> On Jul 21, 2023, at 11:53 AM, Kevin McLean <kmclean56 at gmail.com <mailto:kmclean56 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>>
>>> This video <https://drive.google.com/file/d/19L-GV3A3D9rtG-votVgc6_4PRAJXWLIg/view?usp=sharing> shows two cookpots over one fire, almost doubling the efficiency.

[RWL:   Cutting 4-5 messages not quite part of the same thread, about “This video”. Found at:
 https://drive.google.com/file/d/1z07Egdu4_Ib3ihZuww4VAWH8542HLivE/view

Ron