[Stoves] Rotary project question

Paul Arveson paularveson at gmail.com
Mon Nov 27 07:57:10 CST 2023

I received this from a friend and would appreciate your comments:

"I received the email below from a Rotary member in Ithaca New York.
She has put together an $11,620 project (attached) to pay for Vron
Engineering of Kampala, Uganda, to build four fuel-efficient stoves at
schools in Gulu, Uganda, enhanced with a PV-powered fan to regulate the
cooking temperature.  Vron Engineering claims their unit reduces
firewood or charcoal use by 80%.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SyWCc-EGis. The Rotary presentation is
very professional, but my unscientific mind is skeptical.  I know that
clean cookstoves reduce firewood use, but it seems doubtful that adding
a PV panel, battery and fan would further reduce fuel use.  And without
the PV panel, it seems excessive to spend $11,000 to demonstrate that
clean cookstoves (with stovepipes) actually save fuel—something everyone
already knows.  Your thoughts?"

Paul Arveson