[Stoves] Risk of CO poisoning with TLUDs

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Wed Sep 20 15:06:17 CDT 2023

Dear Andrew

That was a good thought process.  Doi you remember John Davies from Secunda in South Africa?  He was making coal stoves that were TLUD coke-making and then coke burning. That is, TLUD  followed by BLUD. The former took about 2 hours and the latter 4 hours for his load of ~6 kg of coal.

The difference between what you describe below and the Davies TLUD is that he did not lose the flame when the charring ended. If the flame goes out as the charring stops to be followed by char burning, it makes sense that there is more heat generated at the bottom, but there is also a loss of heat in the vertical volume above the char.

Given that the air allowed into the bottom of the column is normally highly restricted, are you sure the burn rate increaser the vertical flow (much)?

If you are getting a flame-out, I suspect there is too much secondary air.
If you add a bluff body (which I don't like in that position) will it retain the flame?
If have "adequate" constriction of the gas path where the flame subsists, will it prevent the flame-out?

I seem to recall John advising that the secondary air flow was to be adjusted once pyrolysation was complete.  Yes?

Your experience is mystifying.  Char burning requires substantially more air than burning of the volatiles to it should start running rich, not lean at the transition.

I think it was Dr Riaz Achmad (CAU) who sampled gases from within the char column in various places to see what happened to CO produced at the bottom. It is quite possible (I am not sure) that a lot of it becomes CO2 and that extinguishes the flame.  Or some combination of deleterious conditions: high excess air because of too much secondary air;  low or no excess air snuffing the flame; a temporary carbon-to-CO2 burst just as the pyrolysation ends.  It needs only one slug of no-CO air in the column to put out the flame.

We should look at this closely