[Stoves] An Old 'Rocket Stove' from the 1970s

tmiles at trmiles.com tmiles at trmiles.com
Fri Feb 23 21:17:34 CST 2024

Julien,

Thanks for the memories. I met Dick Hill in 1979 when we worked together to present a panel at the first ASME conference on wood heating appliances. The ASME was involved in discovering wood heating following the energy crisis of 1973. We saw thousands of “tin wonders” made to heat homes with wood that were emitting black smoke into the air. My friend Dr. John Cooper, then at the Oregon Graduate center, found that 60% of the respirable particulate in the Portland airshed was from wood smoke so he convinced ASME to hold a conference or wood heating appliances in Portland, Oregon. I was the local representative and Dick was the seasoned ASME member. We organized a great panel with people, like Dr. Jay Shelton, and Skip (ACS) Hayden, Combustion and Carbonization Research Laboratory, Canada, who were active in improving wood stoves. I learned a great deal from Dick at that time and in the years that followed. He was a well liked and respected professor at the University of Maine in Orono. I have since met and worked with many of his graduates.

Dick incorporated a lot of sound combustion principles in the Jetstream. On that is not described was orienting the forced air so that the air jets impinged on the wood like blowing on the coals. This stimulated the evolution of gases and burned the char in direct contact with air, like blowing on a fire. The gasification was then followed by staged combustion at high temperatures as described in the information you cite. We were tempted at the time to incorporate Dick’s Jetstream in our home office hydronic system. It is not surprising that later stoves deployed similar concepts that dick used in the JetStream. It is also not surprising that Hampton couldn’t sell many units. Household and commercial scale boilers at the time were not as popular as they were, and still are in Europe. It took several years for the European stoves to catch on in North America. We usually saw them picked up first in Canada, like our friends on PEI who we had worked with burning straw.

The conference led to the evolution of the Oregon smoke charts and emission standards which reduced the number of inefficient stoves on the market and influenced what became the EPA standards. We had lively discussions in the 1980s in a chat group I maintained on a “dial up bulletin board” (BBS) which I later moved to this list in about 1996 with access to the internet. The focus at that time turned to cookstoves.

We met Larry Winiarski in 1976 when he built us a gasifier for straw. (I had known his professor at UC Berkely when he was working on pulse combustion.) We often discussed basic combustion principles as he did for the rest of his life and to the benefit of us all.

Kind regards

Tom