[Stoves] ***SPAM*** Re: ***SPAM*** Re: ***SPAM*** Re: ***SPAM*** Re: ***SPAM*** Re: ***SPAM*** Carbon credits for briquettes that replace charcoal in Africa

Cookswell Jikos cookswelljikos at gmail.com
Tue Jan 30 08:09:53 CST 2024

Here is an interesting idea to utilize highly invasive woody plants to make
biochar you might like Kevin,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UI1uN1EFhUI&ab_channel=PlantVillageTV

Wonders never cease to amaze in the woodfuel industry in Kenya, I went to a
salt factory a few months ago and they said they use 30 tons of almost wet
(!!) wood per day sourced by clearing land for pineapple farmers to force
dry the salt (co-fired with TZ coal) and almost every other large industry
that uses steam in Kenya seems to be switching to biomass boilers these
days that are mostly using agri-waste (alot of which is grown on farms that
were once forested not so long ago). Agroforestry is growing in
popularity but not as fast as trees are being felled
https://news.mongabay.com/2023/11/deforestation-continues-in-kenyas-largest-water-capturing-forest-satellites-show
and meanwhile watch out for your maize stalks, they might be next ;)
https://www.businessdailyafrica.com/bd/corporate/enterprise/eldoret-family-turns-maize-cobs-into-jet-fuel-addictive-3700610

I sure hope that this new industrial demand for biomass and unplanned
agricultural expansion doesn't wipe out any forest saving gains all the
various cookstove projects have had in Kenya over the years. Speaking of,
might anyone know how many donor funded 'cookstove projects' have there
been in Kenya in the last 40 years?

Teddy