[Digestion] flame trap/ flame arrester

Matt Lorig mattlorig at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 13 20:00:02 CST 2010

Hello,

I have a Chinese style AD unit for my pig farm here in the Philippines.  I would like to improve the safety of my system by installing some kind of flame trap or flame arrester to make it impossibe for the flame to travel up the gas pipe to the tank.  I know that I can use a mesh screen but I'm not sure if I can get suitable materials here that won't corrode.  I like the simple idea of bubbling the gas through water. I've looked the the flametrap designs on the safety page of the Beginners Guide to Biogas, but I'm having trouble understanding the diagrams.

http://www.adelaide.edu.au/biogas/safety/flametrap.jpg and
http://www.adelaide.edu.au/biogas/safety/flametrap1.jpg

I posted specific questions about the diagrams on the biogas wiki, but so far no response.

http://biogas.wikispaces.com/message/view/Questions/30782495

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Matt Lorig

mattlorig at yahoo.com