[Digestion] Inoculation for Small Digesters

Alexander Eaton alex at sistemabiobolsa.com
Tue Sep 28 12:07:14 CDT 2010

HI All,

We have been doing our systems start (for small household scale digesters)
with the paunch waste from slaughterhouses, adding 50-100 liters of the
waste along with manure and water as an initial charge.  Transporting this
waste (wet, heavy, and a bit nasty) is a bit of a pain.  My technicians
keeping hinting at better incolculant solutions, and I would like to see if
there is anyone out there making really effective inoculates (or knows how
to make them) that are dry, simple to apply, but really effective in
starting a digester.  Efficient and fast start-up is a really crucial aspect
of technology adoptions, and using effluent from functioning digesters or
the paunch waste has produced the best results for us as far as start-up
rates.  We have seen a brand of tablets for septic tanks, but we have not
found them to improve start-up times as compared with straight manure.
Thanks in advance.

Saludos,

Alexander Eaton
Sistema Biobolsa