[Digestion] Solar Heated Batch Bladder Digester for Poultry

Paul Harris paul.harris at adelaide.edu.au
Wed May 25 01:37:29 CDT 2011

G'day Steven,

Yes, no methanogens = no methane! This is what happens in silage heaps on
farms. Cow manure has methanogens so becomes the inoculum, inoculum can also
come from another digester (but cows are often closer).

In your situation of periodic clean outs a batch system is more sensible, as
with plug flow you need to add raw material at least daily for reasonable
operation (and if you store the substrate it will still decompose and so you
lose methane potential anyway).

Hope this helps,
HOOROO

Mr. Paul Harris, Room 202 Charles Hawker Building, Faculty of Sciences, The
University of Adelaide, Waite Campus, PMB 1, Glen Osmond SA 5064 Ph    : +61
8 8303 7880      Fax   : +61 8 8303 4386
mailto:paul.harris at adelaide.edu.au
http://www.adelaide.edu.au/directory/paul.harris

CRICOS Provider Number 00123M
This email message is intended only for the addressee(s) and contains
information that may be confidential and/or copyright.  If you are not the
intended recipient please notify the sender by reply email and immediately
delete this email. Use, disclosure or reproduction of this email by anyone
other than the intended recipient(s) is strictly prohibited. No
representation is made that this email or any attachments are free of
viruses. Virus scanning is recommended and is the responsibility of the
recipient.