[Digestion] need for assistance

Elisabeth Staniewski estaniewski249 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 12 00:33:09 CDT 2012

Dear Friends at DigestionDigest,

I have been a member of DigestionDigest for many years, but last three
years I was off work force due to health issues and was not participating
in the discussions.  Finally last week I landed a new research project.
 In the past, I have completed a number of projects on renewable energy,
including biogas from anaerobic digestion processes; no detailed
calculations though, assessing technical, environmental and economic
aspects of a variety of processes/technologies.  I learned two days ago
what my next research work will be about; it is a very fascinating project,
and I am looking forward to begin.  The company is planning to build a
pilot plant to convert a mixture of organic waste into biogas; it is a
thermal hydrolysis process (high pressure, 125 degrees C) that is going to
process a mixture of organic waste: about  35% of SRM/specified risk
material (slaughterhouse by-products, high probability BSE/Mad Cow
Disease), the rest being cow manure and food waste. Government
Environmental Agency has reviewed an application for approval and came up
with several questions with regards to additional required information.
According to my knowledge there is none presently operating similar process
and therefore no factual information is available.  And, I am going to be
the one who has to deliver best estimates available.  Do you know about any
similar process, either operating or in a research stage, or lab stage that
I can learn about?  I would very much appreciate any assistance.  Looking
forward to our communication again.

Best Regards,

Elisabeth Staniewski
Alberta, Canada