[Digestion] Growing Mushrooms from digestate

Anand Karve adkarve at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 18:50:28 CST 2012

The effluent slurry contains lignin, which is food for many mushrooms. You
may have to add some fertilizer chemicals to the slurry. Oyster mushroom,
Pleurotus sojar kaju is a good edible mushroom which would grow on
substrate containing lignin.
Yours
A.D.Karve

On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 5:15 AM, Wayne Zschech <
waynezschech at calvarychapel.com> wrote:

>    G'day all!
>
> I'm looking for information (and experience) on growing edible mushrooms
> using anaerobic digestate.  I'm trying to get the most out of processing of
> waste organics.
> I've grown button mushrooms but have read that the digestate isn't good
> for growing them.  Maybe there are other types of mushrooms that can be
> grown. We will have straw and other farm residues available to us.  Also if
> I can use dry digestion I get to keep nutrients in the digestate that would
> normally be in the liquor. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
> Blessings,
> Wayne****

***
Dr. A.D. Karve
Trustee & Founder President, Appropriate Rural Technology Institute (ARTI)