[Digestion] Elefant Dung?

Duncan Martin duncanjmartin at gmail.com
Thu May 24 11:51:33 CDT 2012

Peter & all

Koalas are far from the only animals that thrive on a diet that we'd
consider indigestible - think of termites and other insects that eat dry
wood for example.

However, many animals deal with such 'lean' diets not by highly-efficient
digestion but by simply eating large volumes, which of course goes with the
production of large amounts of dung (and good dung too, with plenty of food
value too - for those with a taste for such delicacies!).

I don't think it follows that such animals have better digestive systems
than others, which I *think* was the implication of the introduction of the
koala into the debate. But there might be some scientific interest - who
knows!

Duncan Martin (Dr)
Cloughjordan Ecovillage
Ireland