[Digestion] Digester Heating by a thermosiphon system

Takamoto kyle at takamotobiogas.com
Wed Nov 21 23:26:14 CST 2012

Dear List,

Thanks Jaime for the article. We will try this one out in Kenya. I am sure it will work well.

For an update on our tests, we bought new cow dung without antibiotics and now are producing 1.4 cubic meters per day of biogas from a 3.2 m3 reactor instead of the 0.52 m3 per day that we used to produce. Also, the digester with antibiotic cow dung is doing better now though I haven't tested the exact amount of gas it is producing. I would guess that the antibiotics have degraded over the last 3 weeks.

I have another question, it being Thanksgiving and all for us in the US. I have managed to convert an LPG stove to biogas for the burners, but now I am trying to convert the oven to biogas (from LPG) so that I can cook my turkey. The flame keeps going out. I lights on one side of the oven burner and the flame runs around the jets and goes out in a few seconds. (I used a 2.5mm jet for this and not the 0.5mm jet that came with the stove). Then I taped over a few of the jets and I taped over the air mixing hole near to the jet and the flame was more stable but eventually goes out, but not stable like an LPG flame in an oven. My gas pressure is around 3 kPa. Any advice? Has anyone successfully converted an LPG oven to biogas before? What is the trick?

Thanks a bunch!
Kyle
Managing Director
Schutter Energy Ltd.