[Digestion] Centrifugal pump for transferring feedstock

Marc de Piolenc piolenc at archivale.com
Sun Nov 17 20:25:49 CST 2013

There seem to be regional differences in the sensitivity of microbes.
Here in northern Mindanao I have visited a biogas plant, installed in a
large piggery, which uses two centrifugal pumps as the sole means of
transferring the slurry into a series of digesters operating under
pressure. The microbes do just fine, thank you, and produce enough gas
to operate a genset which relieves the piggery owner of 80% of the
charge that he formerly paid to the local electric co-op.

Best to all,
Marc de Piolenc
Iligan City, Philippines

"Tests I tried in a laboratory which involved pumping material into a
digester suggested that flow velocity is important. The microbes do not
seem to like being accelerated, and stop working. A centrifugal pump
works by accelerating the fluid, so is not really suitable for use in an
anaerobic digester. The type of pump most often used is a progressive
cavity pump, although an archimedes screw is also good."
--
Archivale catalog: http://www.archivale.com/catalog
Polymath weblog: http://www.archivale.com/weblog