[Digestion] Safe Transportation of Low Pressure Biomethane for Social Gatherings

Anand Karve adkarve at gmail.com
Sat Jun 7 20:36:52 CDT 2014

Dear Jake,
 One can fill non-pressurised pure methane into inflatable bags and
transport it, but in this form you have to cary large volumes of it.
Secondly, you would have to use pressure for getting the methane from
the bag into your cookstoves. It would be easier If you could use
pressure at the facility where you produced the methane, and filled it
into rigid cylinders. Not only would the volume be reduced but the gas
would flow easily from the cylinder into the burners of the stove. We
have tested this concept as an experiment, using LPG cylinders as
containers and a pesticide pump for filling the cylinders.
Yours
A.D.Karve

On Sun, Jun 8, 2014 at 12:46 AM, Jacob Douenias <jdouenias at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I am a researcher and entrepreneur at Carnegie Mellon University and I am
> working on how to share the knowledge and benefits of simple AD systems with
> Americans.
>
> My team has been investigating the possibility of converting commercial food
> waste to biogas in a low-tech 250 gallon digester, and then scrubbing that
> biogas ourselves into biomethane.
>
> We want to hold events or cook-outs where local chefs could cook great food
> using biomethane.
>
> To do this in our area the best way to share this biomethane with others is
> to drive it to a local gathering.
>
> What do you all think the safest way to go about transporting this
> biomethane on the road would be? If we were to invest in a low-cost biogas
> inflatable (ie. PVC) and house this bag inside of a large plastic enclosure
> would this be relatively safe?
>
> We want to share this technology and its benefits with others!
>
> Can you help us figure this problem out?
>
> Best wishes,
>
> -- Jake Douenias
>
> http://thebiogenousproject.org/

***
Dr. A.D. Karve
Trustee & Founder President, Appropriate Rural Technology Institute (ARTI)