[Gasification] engine exhaust and flare integration- variable proportion CHP

jim mason jim at allpowerlabs.org
Fri Dec 10 20:15:48 CST 2010

here's an engine exhaust and flare integration bear's been working on
this week for the power pallet.
http://www.gekgasifier.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1733#post1733

the main point of this is to make sure the gasses during lighting go
upwards and the user can't get into the co.  there is a 12vdc hot
element lighter in the stack for auto lighting, and a sight hole to
see mixture.

the other goal of this integration is to create a single point to
install a heat exchanger that will work for both exhaust and flare
heat sources.  the upper part of the stack will eventually be replaced
with some sort of water tube heat exchanger.  right now it is just
exhaust stack.

the direction we're going here is to be able to vary the heat
independent of the electricity production.  we want to be able to run
the flare alone to heat, or in parallel with the engine, or just the
engine and only mining excess heat.  heat needs are seldom directly in
proportion to electricity.  being able to vary them independently
sounds interesting.

some tests of different DIY heat exchanger elements for heating and
boiling water are here.
http://www.gekgasifier.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1732#post1732

jim