[Gasification] Filtering Pyrolisis Gas

doug.williams Doug.Williams at orcon.net.nz
Fri Apr 15 17:21:45 CDT 2011

Hi Rolf,

In answer to these two questions:

I have also thought about the  cold char acting as a filter for the tars in
the distillation fumes so as to enrich the biochar with these, but so far I
have never found any comments on this.

Charcoal makes a good filter for particulates, but if the pyrolisis gas from a charcoal kiln is anything less than say 475C, the tars will just condense and quickly block the filter bed. You will also find the gas ducts will block if the temperatures drop.

The filtered gases would go through an engine to be completely burnt.

Unfortunately, this would be very unlikely to succeed, as pyrolisis gas would need to be wet scrubbed to grab all the condensable tars. The toxic black liquor is then a environmental disposal issue.

What do you use as a binder?

Depending on the type densification, you can use the tar if collected from a condenser, or more user friendly starch powders from a variety of crops.

Hope this will help to keep your hands clean (:-)

Doug Williams,
Fluidyne.