[Gasification] Charcoal Reduction Mill

Mark E. Ludlow mark at ludlow.com
Thu Aug 25 23:14:31 CDT 2011

Hi Jeff,

A small hammer mill would be fine, but you need to run it under negative
pressure to keep from making a mess. Start at the back end with a small
blower good for 12" suction. Then a  fake baghouse (three old Shopvacs in
parallel would be fine.) Then, a tall skinny, cyclone (high-efficiency) with
a downleg terminated with a couple  butterfly valves operating 90deg out of
phase as an airlock. This dumps into your collection bag/drum.

Of course,  any kind of feed auger makes things more fun. Get a fine screen
for the mill and don't push things to prevent a conflagration which would
ruin anyone's day. The cyclone is about 99% efficient by weight, so it takes
the load off your "baghouse".

An even simpler solution is a homebrew ball or rod mill.

Mark