[Gasification] Fluidyne Update Photos.

doug.williams Doug.Williams at orcon.net.nz
Wed Dec 7 14:58:26 CST 2011

Hi Alex,

Have to answer briefly today:

>Although the dazzling blue flame is but the revealing  icing on your linear gasifier cake. I have a question about it. Did InstrumenTom measure its exhaust? Numbers?

The free air flare was not measured, as to freaky for emission measuring. The emissions from the Cyclomix burner and heat exchanger were measured, and as Tom Miles has indicated, he will post them when back in the office.

>>"With all gas going to the flare stack, this flow of 147 scft/min made an impressive flare roughly 2m high. In this mode, considerable information is obtained from the flare, especially the >>presence of carbon blacks, or tars, which contaminate the feathery ends of the outer edges."

>When I see changes in the feathery ends of the outer edges, I'm inclined to think that it is from the formation of compounds formed within an oxygen starved portion of the flame.

I'm sure that I have covered this subject previously, but if the gas and air are not perfectly mixed before the point of ignition, then you will have the CO reverting back to carbon and CO2 inside the high temperature flare which is over 500C. This will show up as red tips when the carbon reaches the outer free oxygen.

>If black carbons or tars where carried over from the gasifier might you not see them glowing  lower down in the flame as well?

That is correct, but the flare behaviour changes depending if the gas is hot or cold. Cold gas can spit condensate and tar if present, making sparkly like flares in the flame, while hot gas will just radiate hotter (than a clean gas), with a sting attached to it if you stand close. You also need to know how well the gas is filtered for solid content, because carbon blacks will show up adding redness inside the flare, and higher radiation even if tar free.

>Can you make the flare flame tips change colour by pushing it rich?

The only way you can test this is to slow the gas flow right down so that it does not blow off the end of the pipe. A lazy gas only flare in our case, is still blue, but one might see a change in the tips if watching closely. Our Cyclomix burner in the heat exchanger, can be run rich to give you a CO emission, but no easy way to see in the turbulent flame, if any change of colour takes place.

>Thanks for posting the report.

That's about all I am good for these day's,

Doug Williams,
Fluidyne.