[Gasification] Producer Gas Engine Paper

Daniel Chisholm dmc at danielchisholm.com
Fri Jul 1 05:55:57 CDT 2011

On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 03:12, Art Krenzel <phoenix98604 at msn.com> wrote:

>  GF,
>
> Early in my life I worked at the E. I. DuPont Tetraethyl Labs which made
> the fuel additive you describe.  It was a lead based fuel additive which
> delayed the onset of compression ignition to allow higher compression ratio
> (and more powerful) engines.  The fuel additive was in all of the fuel and
> used all the time.  DuPont made tons of the Tetra Ethyl Lead fuel additive
> for military and civilian use in high compression engines.
>
> ADI water and methanol injection only occurs for short periods of time such
> as during takeoff where spurts of overfueled power was needed.
>
> Check out the following article and it will explain the difference.
>
> http://www.enginehistory.org/r-4360ops1.shtml

Thanks Art for a nice article; on a personal note the 4360 always had a
special place in my heart since I was a little kid learning about engines.

There are a lot of really good gems in that writeup, some of them quite
subtle and involving pretty advanced details of how fuels burn in engines.
 Some that I quite enjoyed were:

- note the fuel flows for max power with ADI vs. max power dry.  There is a
wonderful (though subtle) conclusion to be drawn from what is happening in
the "max power dry" situation which is a bit of an eye opener; as a bonus it
nicely relates to gasification and blast furnace chemistry (but as Jim
rightly says, doesn't nearly everything tie in like this?)

- reading the details of the leaning procedure was a real joy, especially
comparing it to how one operates a light aircraft with a fixed pitch
propeller.  The section where they discuss increasing torque to 111% of
nominal and then looking at various torque changes in response to mixture
and ignition timing changes is just great.

I found it interesting that they described oil and cylinder head
temperatures in degrees-C.

--
- Daniel
Fredericton, NB  Canada